Pages

Sunday 5 November 2023

Gawler: The Colonial Athens

 Gawler: The Colonial Athens

First shared on ‘Gawler: Colonial Athens’ Blog Monday, 18 January 2021.



91 Murray Street - Gawler Institute, after 1870 and before 1878
Source: Gawler History Team Inc.

“If ever there was a go-ahead little spot on the globe's surface, Gawler may lay claim to that distinction.” – Traveller c.1870.[1]

Allen Tiller
Photo Daniel James Down

Gawler in Photographs
Hi, my name is Allen Tiller, I am the author of this blog.
 I was born in Gawler at the Hutchinson Hospital. I was educated at the Evanston Primary School and Gawler High School. I moved away from Gawler in the 1990s and intermittently lived in Gawler over the decades before moving back to the town in 2016.
 You might know me from the television show Haunting: Australia. I have had an extensive career in the media over the past decade. Before that, I worked in Warehousing and Distribution here in South Australia, and in Queensland. After Haunting: Australia filmed in 2013 I suffered a serious injury and could no longer work in warehousing, so I went to TAFE and retrained as a Librarian. At the same time, I studied for a Diploma in Family History at the University of Tasmania. Currently, I am halfway through studying for a degree majoring in history, also with UTAS.
 I am also a published poet and a published historical author. I have written tours of local councils and am an Executive Member of the Gawler History Team. As well as a parent and grandparent!


 

I often write on my blog The Haunts of Adelaide about crimes, paranormal and odd history around South Australia. I also have a blog dedicated only to paranormal themes, The Eidolon Paranormal Blog and one dedicated to Kapunda. I decided this year I might take some of the copious local history and knowledge of Gawler I have stored and put it out on the interwebs for others to read.

So, I started this blog!

Why the name “Gawler: Colonial Athens”?



 During the 1860s, Gawler had established an Institute, a foundation of knowledge. Within it is a library. The Institute had supported the arts and education. The township also attracted many university-educated Germans who settled at nearby Buchfelde.
  No one knows exactly who phrased the term, but E.H Coombe stated:


  “It is the custom of many writers and speakers to refer to Gawler as “the Modern Athens”, presuming this was the title bestowed conferred upon it in the early days by admirers of its literary activities/ The title then bestowed upon it as a genuine compliment was ‘The Colonial Athens’.
Edinburgh has the distinction of being ‘The Modern Athens’. Gawler secured it’s flattering cognomen of ‘the colonial Athens’ because of its spirited action of its Institute in connection with the competitions for a Song of Australia and a History of South Australia. In referring to this matter the late Mr. E.L. Grundy remarked; ‘no one of the many sensible minds in Gawler would think of assuming the title of ‘The Colonial Athens’, yet they are willing to hold it and adopt the friendly compliment as being calculated to impart to the young around as a wholesome consciousness that they are in a position in the world’s eye where mental and moral superiority are looked for…”[2]

 

So, there you have it, Gawler was dubbed the ‘Colonial Athens’. Later, Adelaide got in on the act and dubbed itself “The Athens of the South”. As Oscar Wilde said, ‘Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.’

This blog will probably be posted irregularly, as my time permits. There will be cross-posts from my other blogs and Gawler-based projects, and links (many links!) to the Gawler History Team Inc. website gawlerhistory.com.


Hope you enjoy Gawler’s History.

Allen Tiller 19/01/2021.


UPDATE: Since writing this blog in 2021, I have earned a B.A. in History with First Class Honours at the University of Tasmania. I have also deleted the former Gawler: Colonial Athens' blog and reposted the material here. A.T. - 2023.


[1] "THE COLONIAL ATHENS."', The Register, (30 July 1910), p. 4.

[2] Gawler, Derek Whitelock, (1989), p.79.

Photographs:
 Gawler History Team: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gawler_history/7083658135/
 Gawler In Photographs, Daniel James Down, 2020: https://www.facebook.com/Gawlerinphotographs

 

No comments:

Post a Comment