The Ghosts of Gawler Part Four
"The Bunyip" newspaper began its existence in 1863 as a monthly pamphlet published in collaboration with "The Humbug Society". Editor Dr George Nott and Printer, William Barnet teamed together to create what was to become South Australia's longest running family owned newspaper.
The Bunyip Newspaper, in its early life, was situated in a shop near the Baptist Church in Murray Street, Gawler, later it moved further along the street to be situated near the Prince Albert Hotel, but after those premises were destroyed by a fire, it was relocated to its present location, of which it has remained since 1885
The Bunyip newspaper was sold to the "Taylor Group" of newspapers in 2003 by the Barnet family, ending the families long ownership of this local icon (September 1863 until April 2003).
|The haunted staircase|
Karen and I were lucky enough to be invited by the newspaper's General Manager, Margaret, to investigate the Bunyip office and printing area. We had a tour of the location including the cellar, which still contained a lot of the old printing tools from the beginning of the 1900's. We also found another room adjacent to the basement that had long been sealed off, no doorways were visible into the room from the old hole in the wall through which we looking.
|Karen in the Basement|
The other active area was a downstairs office, where chairs have moved by themselves and the sounds of someone sitting at a desk writing have been heard by numerous witnesses, this was intriguing, but on this occasion we didn’t manage to capture anything on video or audio.
Perhaps the most intriguing is the sound of someone walking up the walking staircase in the centre of the building with no-one present. We ruled out the expansion and settling of the wood and building, and set about conducting a number of experiments to try and recreate the reported sounds, with no success. It would seem the person (or Ghost) that is responsible for the noise has some large heavy boots and really wants to be heard!
© 2013 Allen Tiller
All content on “Eidolon Paranormal & The Haunts of Adelaide” site, blog and corresponding media pages (eg Facebook, twitter etc) is copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review, as permitted under the Copyright Act, no part may be reproduced by any means or process without the written permission of the author. © 2012, 2013
All photos remain the property of their respective copyright owners and are displayed here for the purpose of education, research and review under the copyright act "fair usage" clause.
Some photo's used here on this site are sourced from The Sate Library of South Australia, and The National Library of Australia - all photos are out of copyright and have no usage restrictions implied.