Pages

Sunday 10 December 2023

Vale Brian Thom

 

 Vale Brian Thom

First published on the ‘Gawler: Colonial Athens’ blog on 24/10/2021.




RIP - Brian Thom, Gawler History Team founder, Deputy Mayor, and Councillor.
 
Brian was passionate about Gawler's history and made a damn good cappuccino!
I will miss hearing 'How are you my boy?' every time I walk into a history team meeting, or into his home, where he was always welcoming and ready to offer a wine, port, or coffee. He never once forgot to ask how Karen was doing, or how my studies were going...

Brian was very generous with his time, advice and his knowledge. We spent many an hour discussing Gawler's history and how it can be preserved and promoted.
 
He came into my life just after my dad passed away, and in some way, I guess he fulfilled that fatherly figure we all sometimes need.

His are big shoes to fill. He had spoken to me many times about me taking his place in the future as Gawler History Team chairperson. He obviously saw something in me, I don't see in myself.
His stubbornness, his pestering people, and his passion are what drove the team for more than ten years, and without him there, even in the background as a mentor, it's going to be a much more subdued Gawler History Team for quite some time.

Vale Brian Thom, you will be missed greatly, by many.
 
Our Condolences to Bev and the rest of the Thom family.

No comments:

Post a Comment